Monday 4 August 2014

Lights Out - Remembering The Great War

Today is the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War  and I think almost all of us have a family link this world changing event. My grandfather and his brothers fought in France, one was wounded and died in hospital in Kent and never came home to his small hometown in Cumbria. I never knew my grandfather, but know he won the Military Medal during World War I, he was a stretcher bearer and I can't imagine the terrible sights he saw, I wish I had known him.

There are lots of events all over the country to commemorate the centenary of this world changing war. I will be participating in the Lights Out event in less than an hours time. Lights Out is when we are asked to turn off our lights and put a candle in our window to remember all those who died in this dreadful war, so many of them so young. They died for us and we must always remember that.

Photo Lights Out Website

No comments:

Post a Comment